What To Do If Your Dog Eats Chocolate

What To Do If Your Dog Eats ChocolateMost people know that dogs should not eat chocolate. In fact, chocolate is widely known to be a poison for dogs. But it’s not easy to watch your pup every second of the day, and even though it’s poison, chocolate is definitely a draw for hungry canines.

Therefore, if your dog has eaten chocolate, you’re not alone. It certainly can happen, and the first thing to do is not to panic. Fortunately, there are steps that you can take to protect the health of your dog and prevent any negative ramifications from this occurrence.

First Thing’s First: What To Do

If you know or believe that your dog has eaten chocolate, it’s important to get in touch with your veterinarian as soon as possible. You can also call the pet poison helpline at 855-764-7661. They can offer advice and walk you through emergency care.

Generally speaking, you may only need to monitor your dog for signs of chocolate poisoning. Your veterinarian or the pet poison helpline will help you determine whether this is a good course of action. It will largely depend on how much chocolate your dog has eaten and how big your dog is. It may also depend on what type of chocolate your dog ate and whether or not your dog has a heart condition.

If the helpline or your vet is worried that poisoning could occur, you might need to induce vomiting. This can be done at your veteranarian’s office. They will give your dog a few doses of activated charcoal. Hydrogen peroxide may also be used.

What Are The signs Of Poisoning From Chocolate?

If your veterinarian or the pet poison helpline advises that you simply watch for signs of chocolate poisoning in your dog, you need to know what these signs are. They include:

  • Diarrhea
  • Vomiting
  • Increased urination
  • Restlessness
  • Seizures
  • Tremors
  • Abnormal or elevated heart rate

The fear of chocolate poisoning in dogs stems from the fact that they could experience an overactive heart rate and raised blood pressure. This can cause heart failure.

Chocolate affects the heart because it contains both caffeine and theobromine. Both of these ingredients will speed up your dog’s heart rate, and it will also stimulate your dog’s nervous system. For this reason, older dogs with heart conditions should be monitored especially closely.

Contact Avenue Of The Saints Animal Hospital

Avenue of the Saints Animal Hospital has two locations in Charles City, IA and Waverly, IA. If your dog has recently eaten chocolate and you are worried about their safety and health, call our offices at (319) 352-3722 for more information on treatment. We also offer 24/7 emergency care, so even if our offices are closed, you can give us a call to get in touch with a veterinarian who can counsel you on treatment.

At Avenue of the Saints Animal Hospital, we offer numerous services, including micro-chipping, general surgery, pet boarding, behavioral counseling, orthopedic surgery, nutrition counseling, radiology, radiotherapy and laser surgery, dentistry, cardiology, and more. Give us a call today to make an appointment, and we look forward to hearing from you.

Waverly Charles City Email Us